Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Voice Say Cry Out!

A voice says, “Cry out!” And I said, “What shall I cry?” (Isaiah 40:6 NRSV)
What should I cry? This took me by surprise this morning. If I accept the premise of the question, then I accept that I should be crying out for something. If I should be crying out for something, what is my current situation in which I need to cry out from?
What should I cry? Help! Come Jesus! Those seem like relevant things to cry out in my life. It is easy how quickly I am geared to be self-centered. I just assume that I should be crying out for myself. Instead of crying to and for someone else.
That is just it. I should cry out for the benefit of others. I should cry out for the injustices in the world. I should cry out for those that can’t cry out. I should cry out for the Lord. In Isaiah 40, that is the bottom line. I (we) need to be crying out on the highest mountains the good news of Jesus Christ. The good news that God’s judgment is coupled with his grace; that God is going to tear through the heavens and personally intervene in my experience—in history. We need to proclaim and cry out to people the Good News that Jesus has come and will come again.
Lord, help me to cry! Help us!

No comments: