Thursday, June 15, 2006

Here in Birmingham: Teddy Bears and Pet Murphy Beds

Well, I am here. Staying at the Holiday Inn, however, I don’t feel any smarter.

The plane ride was uneventful, although a little too bumpy for my pleasure. I did learn that apparently Detroit is on the way to Birmingham from Hartford.. On the first leg of my journey I was perusing through the AirMall magazine and found a Murphy Pet Bed. That is right a murphy bed for your dog. I laughed out loud and thought to myself who would buy one of these things and what dog would ever sleep on one. Most dogs I know rule their owners house, and sleep everywhere except their designated bed. Well on the second leg of my journey, I was sitting next to a lady who open up the AirMall magazine, and when she spotted the Murphy Pet Bed, immediately announce that she needed one, and wondered if she could build one herself. So apparently the Murphy Pet Bed has a niche market that consist of gullible pet owners.

I arrived late at night, didn’t get to bed until midnight and then starting my day at 5:30am. Yikes! I already feel overwhelmed with the amount of issues that need to be dealt with. Our denomination needs intercession and prayer. I signed up to testify in front of committees on two issues, the Abrahamic Heritage issue, and the FOG taskforce (I will speak more about this later).

My roommate is nice, he is a older pastor from Florida, although used to live in New Hampshire. He has a car so that is helpful, because the Civic Center is about 10 minutes away on Freeway from our hotel. This morning as I jumped into his car (literally jumped, he has the biggest SUV–I’ve seen)–there was a teddy bear grasping the steering wheel. He introduced me to CB (Chauffeur Bear). Apparently CB likes to drive, but isn’t allow to drive in the streets because he doesn’t have a license or at least won’t provide one when asked. So CB gets to drive around in parking lots when we are not there. I am not sure how he does this, because George (my roommate) takes the key with him. So I guess CB hotwires the car. I was relived to hear that CB wouldn’t be driving us, because I didn’t particularly feel safe with him driving–I think it is the blank look in his eyes, or that he never blinks that makes me nervous.

No comments: