Monday, December 12, 2005

The Eyes of our Heart

"He did what was right in the sight of the Lord, yet not with a true heart." (2 Chronicles 25:2, NRSV)

"He set himself to seek God in the days of Zechariah, who instructed him in the fear of God; and as long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper." (2 Chronicles 26:5, NRSV)

"So Jotham became strong because he ordered his ways before the Lord his God." (2 Chronicles 27:6, NRSV)

"And Hezekiah and all the people rejoiced because of what God had done for the people; for the thing had come about suddenly." (2 Chronicles 29:36, NRSV)

It is hard to miss the point in the story of all the kings in Chronicles. Be faithful to God, follow Him alone. It hits you over the head like a hammer. You even start to wonder how did the people of Judah and Israel miss it. Could they not learn the lesson of history of stay faithful and true to the Lord instead of turning to their own ways and false gods.

It is easy to shake our head at other people’s faults and failures, but it is hard to recognize our own. Our broken hearts and broken minds easily stray from God and his purpose. They easily stray from our divine creator and his destiny for us. I can understand Judah and Israel, because I am so easily marvel at other people’s ability and even my own—that I forget to recognize God in the moments of my life. It is God that provides makes things good for those that love Him.

Then even when we are doing right on the surface for God, our hearts can be in the wrong place. I love the first quote that I posted today about King Amaziah that he did what was right in the sight of the Lord, but he did it without a true heart. How true that is: I am such a reluctant giver. I am such a reluctant lover of God in my heart.

I am reminded this morning that it is only through God that we are able to accomplish anything. Our job is to focus on Him. Our mission is to have a true heart that seeks to Love Him. Only then we will do what is right in the sight of the Lord, and only then will provide for us his immense blessings.

My prayer this morning for all of us is from the song by Paul Baloche:
“Open the eyes of my heart Lord
open the eyes of my heart
I want to see you
I want to see you”

No comments: