Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Distorted Mirrors

I went to look at a Nursery school today. I don’t know if I am overly-protective, or overly sensitive but I have not been impressed with Nursery schools. I am supposed to send my child to these one of the schools where they don’t seem equipped to handle or nurture my child.

Beyond my over-protectionism, I was horrified with what I saw. This nursery school was created by the church that it resides in as an outreach to the community. And as I listen to the Nursery school director and asked him about teaching the faith in the school, she seemed like that was a crazy question. They don’t integrated faith into the school because it is an outreach. Huh? What kind of outreach is that? She stated very confidently and proudly that they celebrate all faiths, all traditions, and all families. If this was a secular school, I would have understood this philosophy, still might not want my child to go there, but understood it nevertheless. But this was a church based nursery school.

Basically the outreach they are doing is telling everybody that everything is okay. Instead of pointing people to the Living God and Truth of Jesus, they are holding up a mirror to people and telling them okay. Except the mirror they are holding up isn’t a mirror that reflects reality, it is a mirror that reflects falsehoods and lies so that people aren’t offended by what they look like.

Is the church too scared in this world to identify what we look like? Are we too scared and frightened to see what is actually in the mirror of this world to react? Or are we courageous enough to stand in the light of God and see the true reflection of who we are, and allow God to transform us into who He wants us and has created us to be.

If the church is giving up the Truth, who will preserve it?

Needless to say, Andrew is not going to that nursery school.

No comments: