Monday, December 05, 2005

Dream Out Loud

"When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dream." (Psalm 126:1, NRSV

"I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my whole being shall exult in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." (Isaiah 61:10, NRSV)

And you can dream, so dream out loud. . . .
In dreams begin responsibilitiesAnd I can love, and I can loveAnd I know that the tide is turning 'round (U2, Acrobat)

God’s goodness cannot be imagine. God’s grace is not even the stuff of dreams. When God’s grace and salvation are generously spread over us and His creation, it will only be like the things we dream of. We an only begin to dream of his greatness and his sovereignty. The good news is that it is even better than our dreams.

Each night, when I put my boys to bed, I gave them a blessing that goes something like this: “May God protect you tonight. May you fall into a deep sleep and dream of God’s Kingdom and may you fall deeper in love with Jesus.” I wonder if my boys really do dream of God’s kingdom, I hope they do. I hope God provides them with those glimpse and dreams so that they do fall deeper in love with Jesus. When we experience his grace and presence in our lives, when we experience is Kingdom come now, he can’t help but fall in love with Jesus. And the cream of it all is that our dreams don’t even compare to the reality of His Kingdom.

I love the song Acrobat from U2, it is one of my favorites, and would be and my must have album—not many would include this song. But I love the line about dreaming out loud. God has given us the ability to dream and imagine His Kingdom coming, and our responsibility is to dream out loud. Dream so people can hear our dreams and experience just a little bit of the reality of God. I am not sure that is what they meant for this song, but it is what I get out of it.

May we be a people that God protects, that dreams out loud so the world can experience the Truth and reality of God. Come Jesus, come!

No comments: