Thursday, February 23, 2006

Jesus is Yahweh

"You shall keep all my statutes and all my ordinances, and observe them: I am the Lord." (Leviticus 19:37, NRSV)

"because if you confess with your lips that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Romans 10:9, NRSV)

"For we do not proclaim ourselves; we proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord and ourselves as your slaves for Jesus’ sake." (2 Corinthians 4:5, NRSV)

God likes to make his point clear. It really isn’t that complicated. In Leviticus 18 & 19, God states some of his ordinances and commands and after almost each one, He repeats, “I am the Lord,” or “I am the Lord your God.” It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that God is trying to say that He is Lord, everything else is not, therefore, listen to me, obey me, and worship me alone.

The Hebrew word that is translated to LORD is literally Yahweh, the name God identify himself as to Moses. He is known God. He is not distant or unknown. He is Lord and God that has acted and engaged Israel personally. Breaking down the Lord’s name further it appears to be a compound word that is formed from the phrase, “I am” and, “He is.” That is amazing. God’s name literally means I am, therefore implicating everything else “Is Not” at least in comparison to Him.

As if God wasn’t personal and known enough in the Old Testament, he makes himself more visible in Jesus. Jesus is Lord is repeated over and over again. It is the simplest confession and gospel that we are told to proclaim. It really isn’t complicated. Jesus is Yahweh. Jesus is Lord. It doesn’t get any clearing than that.

No comments: