Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Show & Tell

My oldest son had Show & Tell today. It was his first one. The teacher gave him this purple basket to bring whatever he wanted to show and tell. He had the whole weekend to consider what to bring. I kept asking him, "what do you want to bring?". His response was, "Whatever I want to bring" (with a look of disgust that I would even ask the question. When I would push him further, he said he would decide the day of. However, he was excited about being able to share something of himself to his friends and his teachers. You could tell he was putting some serious thought as to what would be the best thing to bring. When I would give him suggestions he would ponder it and then say, "No, I will decide."

It got me thinking about how I share my faith with people. God has given me the opportunity to Show and Tell every day and every moment, yet I usually don't take the opportunities God gives me, and I rarely take his advice on what to share--let alone how to share it. I think I tell God, "No, I will share whatever I want--I will decide." The reality is God has decided for me. He wants me to share the Good News that He came into this world, that his Kingdom is being ushered in by His Son, Jesus (God Himself), and that He died on the cross for us, and that he defeated death by rising from the grave. Even better yet, He will come again. That is the news, he has commanded me to share, yet I ignore his suggestions.

Andrew eventually decided. He brought his stuffed birds that have a similarity to their real-life counter parts and make the actually bird calls of those birds. He knows all their names. He eventually decided and took the suggestion of his father that the birds would be a good idea. (I need to go home and find out how the show and tell went).

Heavenly Father, may I be a person (may we be a people) that listen and obey your commands (suggestions) and show and tell the world you (and your good news).

No comments: