Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Demand of Grace

"Therefore rid yourselves of all sordidness and rank growth of wickedness, and welcome with meekness the implanted word that has the power to save your souls." (James 1:21, NRSV)

How often I forget the Word that God has implanted on my heart? I take it for granted. I do not realize the power it has for this world and for my life. It is not a magical power that the words hold onto themselves, but the truth and the reality of the One behind the words that bring them power. The Word of God implanted in my soul has the power to save souls, has the power to heal people from the misery of the friendship of this world.

"But be doers of the word, and not merely hearers who deceive themselves." (James 1:22, NRSV)

James immediately reminds that we must respond to this implanted powerful word, the gift of God. The power of the Word demands a response of action—of doing. Because I have received this word, the generous gift that saved my soul, I am to spread this word through my actions. I am to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, act justly, and spread this saving and powerful word to all those that have ears.

Grace demands action. God’s grace for me demands my action for Him and His world.

No comments: