Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Turn up the Signal, Wipe out the Noise

“Send out the signals deep and loud
And in this place, can you reassure me
With a touch, a smile – while the cradle’s burning
All the while the world is turning to noise
Oh the more that it’s surrounding usThe more that it destroys
Turn up the signal
Wipe out the noise” (Peter Gabriel, Signal to Noise)

How do we hear God?

I sometimes get the impression that we view ourselves as the Verizon wireless man? You know the guy that wears the telephone repair suit and walks all around the country asking, “Do you hear me now? Do you hear me now?” We might believe that we can talk to God or at least say we do, but I often get the impression that most of our prayers and conversation with God is in doubt. Deep down we question whether God can really hear us?

I actually think it is the opposite? I think God is the Verizon wireless man, and he is constantly on the phone with us, and with His supernatural wireless connection asking us, “Do you hear me now? Do you hear me now?” God is speaking to us constantly. His life-changing breath/spirit is whispering in our ears awaiting to tingle them, if we just remove the distractions in our life. God is sending out his deep and loud signal to us, yet we turn on the noise and distractions of this world.

Look at all the noise we put into our life. How often are we in the car without the radio, at home without the television on? We now walk around with mobile phones filling any potential quiet moments with more noise. We don’t take the time to turn the noise off and listen to God. It is no wonder that most of us struggle to hear him, we are drowning out His voice.

Turn off the noise. Turn up God’s Signal

No comments: