Monday, January 30, 2006

Compulsion to Proclaim

"If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe to me if I do not proclaim the gospel!. . .For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. . . . I have become all things to all people, that I might by all means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, . . . ." (1 Corinthians 9:16-23, NRSV)

Paul has a compulsion. He is a person that has been transformed by a life-giving message. Paul is not happy to just sit and revel in the good news that he has heard about God. He has been changed by it. His life is driven by it. His character and identity have been transformed by it. He has been set free by it, but is enslaved to it.

Paul understands Jesus’ radical love. He is willing to do anything to get people to hear God’s transforming message. He is willing to give up his rights, his privilege, just so that some might hear. He becomes a servant to humanity because he is fulfilling his identity and obligation.

That Gospel changes us. Jesus changes us. We can no longer be the same.

So the point is, “I serve people to help save them.” Smokes, that is a hard message. I thought I served people so that I might feel better about myself, or that God might look upon me with favor.

We serve people not because we choose to, but because the essence of who we are has been changed by the love of God and now we are compelled to serve.

Makes me wonder, have I really been changed? Is this my identity?

No comments: