Thursday, January 19, 2006

Salvation thru Judgment

“Sometimes God saves by judging. . . . judgment is generally a good thing. It means the coming of truth and justice into our deceived and oppressed world.” (Brian McLaren, A Generous Orthodoxy)

We don’t like being judged. I don’t like dealing with the consequences of my behavior. I know my children don’t like the consequences to their behaviors. They dislike the timeouts we give them for not listening or misbehaving. Usually the threat of the timeout changes their behavior. However, sometimes they need the timeouts to be corrected. We find that when we are not consistent with their consequences the more courageous they are with the misdeeds.

God saves us by judging us. God saves us because he is consistent with his judgment and rules. God is not wishy-washy or bends the rules. God rescues us from our deceived and oppressed ways. God also rescues us by forgiving us. He judges then forgives. He sets forth the natural consequences for us allow us to see the untruth of our ways and the world. Then when we turn from our ways (repent) he rescues us with forgiveness.

My favorite part of the timeouts with my children (a process I do not take any enjoyment from) is after they have served their time, they apologized for their actions (usually with the saddest tears) and I get to say, "You know that I love you." Then with their tear-filled eyes they turn to me and they leap in my arms and say, “I love you too, Daddy”

That is salvation, being rescued from the falsehoods of our behavior and being freed by the love by and for our parent.

Thank you Heavenly father for rescuing me time and time again with your judgment and forgiveness.

No comments: