Tuesday, April 10, 2007

How Great I Art?

" But there was a man named Simon, who had previously practiced magic in the city and amazed the people of Samaria, saying that he himself was somebody great. They all paid attention to him, from the least to the greatest, saying, "This man is the power of God that is called Great." And they paid attention to him because for a long time he had amazed them with his magic." (Acts 8:9-11, ESV)

Simon was a man after my own heart. It is so easy to get caught up in this world trying to impress people, trying to show the world how great I am. The world is about personal success. The American Dream is about achieving fame and fortune on your own.

I want people to like me. I want people to see how gifted I am. But the reality is my real purpose is to show people how great God is, and how he has gifted all of us to glorify Him. It is easy to get in the way of that purpose.

Lord, Help me to move out of the way. Let your Glory fall on you alone. May my days and nights be spent on giving you the glory and thanking you for your blessings. Lord, I deserve only death, but through your gracious gift I receive life eternal. Let any Glory that comes my way be deflected to you. Let any greatness that comes my way be only a gift from you. May all see you in my life no matter the circumstances.

How Great Thou Art

O Lord my God,When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars,I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout The universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tracy I wrote a post about this same passgae too! Nice blog, it's really cool! I'll have to read it more often!

Tracy Johnson said...

As you can see...I haven't posted on my blog for over a year. Perhaps I should pick it up again.