Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Who is it for?

"Then the word of the Lord of hosts came to me: Say to all the people of the land and the priests: When you fasted and lamented in the fifth month and in the seventh, for these seventy years, was it for me that you fasted? And when you eat and when you drink, do you not eat and drink only for yourselves?" (Zechariah 7:4-6, NRSV)


What a great question. How easily I forget that everything is done for the Lord--even eating and drinking. I think food and taste is their for my pleasure only, but really it is to glorify God. I don't just eat to nourish my body, but I eat to nourish my body so I may glorify the Lord by doing what he has commanded me to do. Even the manner in which I eat should glorify him. Everything is for him--even eating and drinking. It is hard to give up control.

No comments: