Monday, October 23, 2006

And God Spoke These Words: Third Commandment

"You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7, NRSV)

What does it mean to misuse the name of the Lord? Most people today, would say that we don't use the name when we swear--meaning we shouldn't use language that refers to Lord, God, Jesus, irrevelantly. While I think this is true--it trivializes this commandment. The direct reference would be using the name of God by swearing an oath in court or to someone. Such as, "Believe in my words, I swear to God, that I tell the truth, and if I am not--may he kill me or punish me." So the basic prohibition in the third commandment is against perjury. Jesus emphasizings this point when he says don't take oaths in God's name, but let your words be the bond (Matt 5:33-37; 23:16-22). Think about the consequences of prophet invoking God's name in his own words. That prophet better be right. Think of the importance and signficance of a preacher proclaiming the word of God. They better be right. It is serious business when you invoke the name of the Lord.

Why is the name of God (Yahweh) so important? God name's signified his essence, and God should not be mocked. We should not use the name of God lightly but respectfully, and fearfully. Yahweh name means "he is" and everything else is not.

Lord, may I approach your name and presence with respect, fear, and awe. I think you that you are present whether I bid you to be or not. Guide my thoughts and words and may the be focused on glorifing you.

No comments: